Khairil's practice covers a wide range of corporate law matters. Trained in banking and finance, yet having built extensive experience advising on corporate restructurings and joint ventures, Khairil specialises in identifying and navigating the legal issues that are particular to his clients and their circumstances.
In the course of his practice, Khairil has provided legal advice to companies at all stages of the corporate lifecycle; from early stage start-ups and growing SMEs, to listed companies and multinational corporations. His clients also include government agencies, financial institutions, not-for-profit organisations and high net worth individuals.
Khairil is a results-focused lawyer, whose legal knowledge and adaptability across industries and company size is the foundation on which practical, usable solutions are constructed, giving clients the confidence and the means to achieve their goals.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised a private equity firm in an auction bid for the entire issued share capital of a multinational beauty and wellness company. The due diligence investigations for the transaction involved 28 companies in eight different jurisdictions.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Julius Baer in its global acquisition of Merrill Lynch's non-United States private banking operations.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to beIN Asia Pacific in its acquisition of certain broadcasting rights and the business of distributing television channels in several countries in Southeast Asia.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the Dow Chemical Company in connection with the spin-off of its chlorine business.
- Acted for the shareholders of Thermal Private Limited, a specialist air conditioning and mechanical ventilation contractor, in the sale of their shares to Jardine Engineering Corporation.
- Acted for Samsung SDS in the restructuring of its Asia Pacific logistics process outsourcing business.
- As part of the combined tax and legal team of a "Big Four" accounting firm, advised several multinational corporations in relation to the restructuring of their group and operations.
- Advised a multinational non-profit real estate industry association in relation to its conversion into a company limited by guarantee.
- Acted for a Mongolian fintech start-up in the establishment of its fund-raising vehicle in Singapore and in its various financing rounds.
- Acted for ST Aerospace Resources in its airplane leasing joint venture with SJ Aviation Capital Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Sojitz Corporation.
- Advised Nielsen Holdings N.V. in connection with its joint venture with Myanmar Marketing Research & Development Co. Ltd. to provide market and consumer research services in Myanmar.
- Acted for GMG Global Ltd in connection with its joint venture with Fonds Interprofessionnel de Solidarite Hevea to undertake the operation of a natural rubber processing factory in Dabou, Ivory Coast.
Capital Markets / Corporate Finance
- Advised Edition Ltd (previously known as Oniontech Limited) on the placement of shares and the grant of call options to two independent investors. The placements resulted in a transfer of controlling interest in Edition, with one of the investors, B&L Group Pte Ltd, becoming the single largest shareholder of Edition. In conjunction with the transfer of controlling interest Edition also diversified its business to include the property development business.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Motors Limited) in connection with the issue of SGX-ST listed bonds in aggregate principal amount of S$350 million.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Wave Life Sciences Ltd. in its US$100 million initial public offering on NASDAQ.
- Advised HLH Group Ltd in its renounceable non-underwritten rights issue.
- Advised the Energy Market Authority in the establishment of the electricity futures market in Singapore.
- Advised a private school in Singapore in connection with S$170 million construction loan and bank guarantee facilities granted by DBS Bank.
- Advised a real estate development group based in Singapore in connection with the grant of a S$88 million loan facility relating to its proposed listing and initial public offering on the SGX-ST.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a syndicate of lenders in connection with the financing of Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A.'s take-over of STX OSV Holdings Limited (now known as Vard Holdings Limited), a major global shipbuilder listed on the SGX-ST.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to a syndicate of lenders in connection with the financing of Amtek Auto's global acquisition of the Neumayer Tekfor Group.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Exide Technologies Inc in its Chapter 11 debt restructuring.
- Advised JTC Corporation in connection with a shari’ah compliant sukuk financing arrangement over certain JTC Properties.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to an S&P 500 technology company in connection with its global cash pooling arrangements.
General Corporate Law
- Advised on employment law matters including statutory employment benefits, employee share schemes, transfers of employment, terminations, retrenchment, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, intellectual property issues, confidentiality agreements and work pass and immigration matters.
- Advised companies listed on the SGX-ST Mainboard and Catalist on listing compliance issues, including share buyback schemes, share option schemes, disclosable transactions, interested person transactions and changes in capital.
- Advised on various company law matters such as incorporation, registration of branches, registration of schools, registration of charities, declaring cash and non-cash dividends, share buybacks, capital reductions, amalgamations and voluntary winding up.
- Experienced in reviewing and drafting various corporate and commercial contracts including subscription agreements, shareholders agreements, declaration of trusts, distribution agreements, franchise agreements, leases, hire purchase agreements, and general terms and conditions of sale.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law